For my first Valentine, I’ll be writing a letter to one of my favorite authors: Sarah Dessen.
Dear Sarah Dessen,
You’ve probably heard this various times, but I ABSOLUTELY love your books. While I haven’t read all of them, the ones I have read have been perfect and eye-opening. Even though I haven’t experienced some of the same things as your characters, I do know what it’s like to be “different” and I know how much it hurts. Like your characters who find friends I have found friends as a blogger.
Much like your characters who have circumstances that set them aside, such as being the new kid or losing a loved one, I’m often set apart because I’m blind. I try to change that everyday, but in the real world people just can’t seem to see past it. Maybe its because they see me with my electronics, cane, and braille, but when I blog and talk to my blogger friends, it all goes away. I’m so thankful for the books you write because they remind me I’m not alone! They remind me that there are other people struggling and that I should push forward.
When I was in a dark place in my life–being bullied because of my blindness and had no friends–your books helped me move forward. I am so glad I got to meet you a month ago and tell you some of this in person and am so grateful for your books!
My next valentine is to Jase from My Life Next Door.
You are amazing! I love everything Samantha, and I learned from you and your family. Your personality and understanding are amazing and eye-opening. Thank you for being so awesome. 😍☺☺💙💜💚
Keep teaching us,
What did you think?
Leave me a link to your Post!
As a fairly new blogger, I decided to join in the #LoveAThon hosted by Alexa from Alexa Loves Books. At first, I wasn’t going to join, but after I saw some of my blogger friends join, I decided to take the plunge. I’m so glad I did as it’ll give me a chance to connect with even MORE blogger buddies. For this post, I’ll be answering a few questions about myself.
- What’s your name?
My name is Jackie.
- Where in the world are you blogging from?
I’m blogging from Virginia. Any other Virginian bloggers out there?
- How did you get into blogging in the first place?
I have a friend who blogs about beauty and fashion and thought blogging looked interesting. At first, I created the blog to be about whatever I wanted, but it slowly became a book blog as I found out about the community.
- How did you come up with your blog name?
Honestly, JackieGirl02 was born from my twitter handle and because I couldn’t think of anything better. I’m hoping to change my domain name to JackiesBookShenanigans soon. However, if you have any other name suggestions I’d love to hear them! I was also thinking something along the lines of “One Page At A Time,” “Seeing The World Through Books,” “Books at my finger tips,” or “Seeing Through Books.”
- What genre do you read and review the most on your blog?
I would have to say I’ve reviewed mostly fantasy, but want to read and review more New Adult, Contemporary, and Chicklit books so if you have any suggestions please let me know.
- What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews?
I will occasionally do blog tours and blasts, but mostly I do “Top Ten Tuesday,” “Waiting On Wednesday,” and I’m hoping to do more discussion posts. If you have any questions about me, reading, or blogging let me know.
- Best blogging experience so far?
I would have to say my best blogging experiences have been going to a Sara Raasch signing, attending the Gayle Forman and Sarah Dessen signing, and joining #OTSPSecretSister.
- Favorite thing about the blogging community?
I really like how open and welcoming my blogger friends have been. I especially love that it’s a community who has accepted me despite my blindness and doesn’t treat me differently because of it.
- Name the 5 books you’re most excited for this 2015!
Five! Only Five!
- by C.J. Omololu
The book comes out on Tuesday and I highly recommend it.
- by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton
This book looks amazing! My next WoW gives the reasons why so you should check that out come Wednesday!
- by Amy Ewing
I read and reviewed The Jewel here and can’t wait to read this!
- by Alexandra Sirowy
This looks like an amazing suspense/mystery! If you have any mystery or cozy mystery suggestions, let me know.
- by Lori Goldstein
This looks like a great book and I can’t wait to read it.
- What’s an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read?
I think people should read any Sarah Dessen book! Now, if I had to choose a book it would be The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. The series I’d choose would have to be The Lone City series by Amy Ewing.
- Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF?
Okay, so this question is COMPLETELY unfair! My latest book bff would have to be Jase from My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick.
- Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies or interests?
I like to sing, act, and bake when I’m not reading. I’m taking a musical theatre class in school right now and I love it! Actually, I considered studying theatre as a major, but now I think I’ll do it as a minor/hobby.
- Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for?
Honestly, I don’t like shopping for much apart from books. I can tell you one thing, I definitely don’t like shopping for clothes for long periods of time. I like shopping for blankets–I have too many, cups/mugs/water bottles–I also have too many although not as many as blankets, and whatever shopping mood I’m in.
- At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song – and it’s your song. What song would be playing?
Right now, I’m in love with a couple of songs so here are a few.
- Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding (I actually didn’t know this was in the Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack and am a little angry. However, if I don’t think about it, it’s an amazing song as are all of Ellie’s songs.)
- Outside by Ellie Goulding (why is Harris’s name on it! He is not singing and shouldn’t be in the title!!)
- Dollhouse by Melanie Martinez (I absolutely love this song!)
- Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TV show you want turned into a book.
I would love My Life Next Door, The Truth About Forever, and I’ve Got Your Number turned into movies.
Let me know what you think and leave me a link to your posts if you participated!